Why am I going on this trip? Obviously I don’t like my job and want to do reset, but what am I really hoping to achieve while I’m gone. But what am I really hoping will change about myself. I believe that the time spent planning this trip, traveling and after the trip will be life changing. At least I hope it will. But what areas in my life do I think I need to change the most? I need to work on not being so self focused, but to look outwards. I need to embrace the not knowing what comes next. Which I can feel I have started doing this, in small bits. I know that being a planner is something that I am good at. I like to plan things and make lists and have things in an order. So I don’t want to change that about myself. However I do want to be more spontaneous and just let things flow where they need to. Which means I don’t get angry or anxious when things don’t go how I anticipated.
I was talking with a friend and coworker today and recognized in him what I have been going through with this whole process. I am very much debating telling him about what I plan to do as a way to motivate him and give him hope that you don’t have to be stuck in the dead end. While hearing him talk it was so eerie recognizing everything I was thinking. But the best part was that I was able to recognize how much better I feel about my day to day life since I can now view it in the scope of this is only the part of a bigger story that is my life.
- To talk with someone of every generation (under 18, 20-40, 50-60, 60+) at length in every country
- To push myself outside of my comfort zone by interacting with people in unfamiliar situations
- To embrace spontaneity
- To encourage a simpler lifestyle. I hope that by getting rid of stuff prior to my trip and only having one bag during my trip I will come to realize that I don’t need so much stuff. I’ve started this by getting rid of cable. I don’t need to be able to watch over a hundred channels. However I do need books.
- To see something beautiful and awe-inspiring. Many something’s if possible.
- Try a local food that would be considered gross at home.